Making fresh vegan pasta, despite sounding complicated, is one of the simplest foods to make. As only 2 ingredients are needed, you can whip up a batch of pasta as long as you have flour in your cupboards.
To pair the beautiful pasta, a creamy yet a bit spicy sauce was created. This combination is such an addicting one as it’s both very decadent yet refreshing.
TIP! You can make a bigger batch of pasta beforehand and let the pasta dry completely (this takes around 2 days). This way you can store the pasta for up to 6 months in an airtight container.
TIP! You can also make any type of pasta shape you want. For this recipe orriechettes were made so the sauce can get “trapped” in the pockets of the pasta. Fettuchine and linguine would also be good choices if you prefer those shapes.
Homemade Orriechiette 🍝
300 g Durum flour
150-175 g Hot water (NOT boiling water)
1 tsp Salt (for boiling)
Creamy Broccolini Sauce 🥦
500 ml Soy cream (I used Alpro Soya Cuisine)
200 g Broccolinis
2 big White onions
3-5 cloves of garlic
1 Fresh jalopeno
1 tbsp Vegan butter
2 tbsp Fresh black pepper
1 tsp Salt
Lemon juice on top of the pasta dish
Making the pasta:
- Pour the flour on to a clean surface and make a hole in the middle of the flour pile.
- Pour the water to the hole in the flour. Start to mix the water and flour together with a fork starting from the edges of the flour and working your way away from the center of the hole towards the outer edges of the flour circle.
- Once the water has been absorbed to the flour and a dough has started to form, start kneading the dough with your hands. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until you’re left with a solid and bouncy ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough ball in some plastic wrap carefully and let the dough rest in room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, divide the dough into 4 parts (TIP! Only work with 1 part at the time and keep the rest of the parts wrapped in the plastic. This makes sure that the dough parts don’t dry).
- To make the desired pasta shape you want, below a few instructional videos have been listed to help you make the ultimate dish.
Making the sauce and finishing the dish:
- Dice the onion, garlic and jalopeño finely. Chop the stems of the broccolini to small 1 cm pieces in thickness and leave the heads of the broccolini untouched separately.
- Heat the vegan butter on a pan and add in the onions and garlics. Sauté for a few minutes and add the jalopeños. Continue cooking on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the broccolini stems and continue cooking for an additional few minutes. Finally, add in the rest of the sauce ingredients to the pan and let simmer on medium-low heat.
- To a separate large pot, add plenty of water and salt. Boil the fresh pasta in the water for around 3-5 minutes until the pasta starts to float.
- Once the pasta is cooked, transfer the pasta straight from the pot to the pan with the sauce and stir everything together. Let the whole dish simmer for 1 minute before serving. Then ENJOY 💚
Leave a Reply