Don’t be daunted by the recipe sounding complicated – it’s not! This recipe is all about fun, flavour and a happy belly! The inspiration to the recipe came from Tiffy Cooks, who showed on a TikTok video, how she makes her hand pulled noodles. After seeing the video, my curiosity got the better of me and I had to give the noodles a go with a deliciously vegan twist.
For the noodles you’ll need 🍜
3 dl All-purpose flour
2 dl Water
1 tsp Salt
1,5 dl Oil (I used canola oil)
Sauce and tofu 🥬
300 g Tofu (I used the Jalotofu Marinated)
Zest and juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp Agave
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black pepper
1 Chinese cabbage
1 Yellow onion
3 Cloves of garlic
Topping the dish:
1 Red chili
1 Green onion
Making the noodles:
- Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Add water to the flour and salt and mix together with chopsticks or a fork until the “batter” is looking flakey.
- Knead the mixture in the bowl until you get a solid dough ball. The dough should look like a smooth snowball ❄️
- Divide the dough into 8 even pieces. Roll each piece into sticks (around 2cm in radius).
- Add the sticks back into the bowl and top with the oil. Let the sticks rest in the oil for at least 1 hour.
- After the dough sicks have rested in the oil, take them out of the oil. TIP! To get the excess oil off from the surface of the dough sticks, quickly roll each piece in a paper towel.
- Do this to each dough stick individually: Place the dough stick horizontally onto a flat surface. Press the dough horizontally with the backside of a knife from the middle of the dough stick but make sure you don’t press it all the way to through the dough!
- Grab both ends of the dough with your hand and start simultaneously pulling and beating the dough to the surface. TIP! Watch the video to see this in action.
- Once you’re happy with the length and size of the noodle, stop pulling and beating the noodle. Pull the noodle with your hands into a circle from the mark that has been made to the middle. TIP! This can also be seen in the video.
- Boil the noodles in boiling and salted water until the noodles have risen to the top of the water., this takes about 3-5 minutes. TIP! Wait with this step until you’re ready with the sautéd veggies.
Making the sauce and tofu:
- Cut the tofu into cubes and add to a bowl. To the bowl, add the lime zest and juice, agave, salt and pepper. Mix everything together and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice the chinese cabbage, onion and garlic into slices. Sauté the vegetables in a generous amount of oil until everything is golden in colour. Place the sautéd veggies onto a different dish and set aside to wait.
- To the same pan you used to sauté the veggies, add the marinated tofu with the rest of the marinade. Fry until the tofu pieces are nice and golden and the sauce is a bit sticky on the pan.
- To the pan with the tofus, add the sautéd veggies and boiled noodles. Add a bit of the noodle cooking water to the pan and stir on low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- To finish off the dish, add sliced red chili, green onion and basil on top. ENJOY 💚
Leave a Reply